Thursday, April 19, 2012

So a good friend of mine told me I should start this to motivate others. I am not the best at writing so what I am thinking will go into this. Plan on starting with how I found out that I had cancer and then go back and tell stories of how it started, plus I will post my WOD's, and articles regarding CrossFit.

November 2, 2009 will be a day I always will remember. It was the scariest day and one of joy at the same time. Had surgery scheduled for that morning to remove my colon due to a blockage that was not there 3 months ago. So my biggest fear of having this surgery was ending up with a colostomy bag at such a young age. Had a 95% chance of no bag, after about six hrs of surgery I awoke and was happy that my surgeon was able to leave about 4" of my colon and tie everything back together so I could live a normal life. Spent seven days in the hospital and highly medicated for the pain, ended up with 32 staples in my stomach and the funny part is that they cut around my belly button.

Eventually they made me get out of bed and try to walk down the hallway and back. Not has easy has I thought, did not know until I stood up with some assistance that my right leg was completely numb due to the epidural not being in the right spot, which also explained why I was still in so much pain. Walking was going to have to wait till the next day. With help I was able to start to slowly walk down the hallway, not fun at all but if I was going to get discharged I had to do it at least twice a day.

So by day five they allowed me to eat solid food. The worst part about this was that the nurse brought me up some yogurt and soup which I was so hungry that I starting eating right away. Unfortantly about two minutes later she came back in and took my food right away from me and said I wasn't allowed solid food till the morning. If I could of stood up out of that bed I would of kicked her ass, not fun to get teased with  food after nothing for five days.

So finally got the patholgy results and ended up that the blockage was stage two cancer. I was not over all the bullshit yet, never that lucky. Next step was to recover and then start 6 months of chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment