Monday, May 7, 2012

Just another flare up, so I thought

So I was finally getting used to being diagonosed with Crohn's at a young age and knew what I had to do to live a normal life. Most day's were good, but seeemed liked I had a flare up a couple times a month. I adapted and knew the signs of when it was going to be a bad day. Sometimes it was my fault, specially when I decided to eat food that I wasn't allowed to, didn't have much self control back then.

The next 10 years were pretty normal with going to visit my doctor every three months for check-ups and a yearly colonoscopy. They did get easier and new preps were available that made it easier for me. The one I took most was taking 40 pills, 20 pills at 4:00PM and then the rest at 7:00.

I did have a really bad flare up so I thought in my late twenties, woke up about 4:00AM with stomach pain that I never felt before. Thought that if I ate some saltines and milk that the pain would go away. Not so much, tossed and turned the rest of the night until I had to get up and go to work. By mid-morning the pain was not going away, decided to leave work and try and sleep it off, I had Taco Bell the night before which was not good for me. Figured it would pass through my system and tha pain would be gone, not so much. Woke up from an hour nap and still in pain. Decided to call my mom, who worked at a hospital and told here my situation and to meet me at the emergency room. Was figuring the doctors would check me out call my gastro doctor and I would be out of there in no time, pain did not pass as they observed me for a couple hrs, finally the gave me some pain meds but that only dulled the pain. Of course my gastro doctor was out of town on vacation so they admitted me into the hospital cause they no idea of what was wrong with me. Was not expecting this and it was the first time I was going to stay in a hospital so I was pretty nervous, by this time the pain was getting worse and the nurses were waiting on the doctors to prescribe me something stronger.  Tried to sleep but that wasn't working out to good cause of the pain. Eventually they started giving me morphin every 4 hours which dulled the pain. None of the doctors knew what was wrong, the figured it had to be related to my Crohns so they started drawing blood and taking other test's but came up with nothing. It seemed they had no clue and irritable, especial one nurse. Was going in for a test where they were going to take x-rays of my abdomen, no problem I thought until she told me I had to drink some fluids, well we all know how I feel about that. Told her that I have a bad gag reflex and that I didn't want to drink it and find another way. She wasn't happy and told me to drink it and I had to get they x-ray, so I proceded to tell her it wasn't going to end well, no remorse from her and she still replied with you must drink it. So I manned up and tried to suck it down, managed to get a couple gulps down before it came back up all over her floor. She was pissed, I just looked at her and kinda said I told you I was going to get sick. By day three I was still having severe pain and no answers from the doctors on staff, at this point they were out of blood test and I did most of there scans with nothing coming up. There solution was to cut me open and see what was going on inside of me. My family and I strongly agreed this was not going to happen, not unless my main doctor was present. So I set in the hospital for another three days on pain meds until my doctor would return from vacation.

So finally on the sixth day my doctor was back from his vacation, he finally made his rounds to me in the middle of they afternoon. He asked me some questions about the pain and asked me about a rash on my face, I thought it was just acne. He thought the rash and the pain was due to shingles, which was wierd at the time because I guy I worked with had a mild case of it a couple of weeks back before I was sick. I mentioned this to him, he ordered some blood test's to check for it. Couple hours later the test results were back and I had shingles. Its amazing that all they other doctors never asked me about the rash and just assumed it had to due with my crohns, this is why I will never leave him as a paitent. They prescribed my some new medication and observed me for another night. By the next morning the pain was going away and I was able to get discharged that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment