Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Leaving the Hospital

Well after spending a week in the hospital I was cleared to be discharged, still had a long way to go for full recovery. Was going to spend my time at my parent's house until I was able and cleared by my doctor, I was still moving pretty slow and was not able to drive myself yet.

It was good to be out of the hospital and some place comfortable, even though I was not. Still had quite a bit of pain and starring down at 27 staples in your stomach doesn't help much. Moving around was a slow process but was getting better everyday, sleeping on the other hand was limited. Every night around 4am I would wake up with pain on my sides so I would get up and watch TV until I fell back asleep. Still to this day I can not sleep on my sides, always have to fall asleep on my back, being in the hospital changed my sleeping patterns, even after three years. Think it has to do with the nurses coming into my room every couple hours to check on me, probably why any little noise wakes me up. One night I was woken up by siren from a fire truck, they seemed really close to the house, usually heard them since the station was only a couple blocks away, but that night was different. Could not fall back asleep so I decided to start peaking out the windows to find out what was going on, walked to the bathroom window and instantly saw the lights of the truck and then noticed one of the houses on the other street was on fire. Watching this gave me some entertainment before I was tired enough to fall back a sleep, nobody was hurt in the fire, just there garage was totalled.

About a week after I was released it was time to go see my oncologist. Was pretty sick of doctor visits at this point and lately was not in a good mood from being stuck in the house all day. Was recommended to him by my other doctors and they stated he was the best around. My appointment was for 4 o'clock and was hoping it was going to be a quick visit. Not so much, we sat there for 2 hours and still did not get called back into the room, at this point I was getting pissed and just wanted to go home, but my mom was having no part in that so we continued to wait. Well another 2 hrs went by and we finally were called back at 8pm, was really pissed and hungry at this point. probably waited another half hour before he came into the room.
I was ready to scream at him by the time he saw me, but I bit my tongue and just answered his questions and listened to him.

So I was diagnosed with stage two cancer of the colon, could have been a lot worse if my gastro doctor was not so persistent on my colonoscopies. When I had my surgery they removed all of the bad areas and the tumor, I am left with about 4" of my colon. He proposed that I start chemotherapy once I week for an hour and half and I would get it for six months straight. Was pretty scared at this point, tried to postpone getting chemo but he said it would be best to start right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment