Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Crazy Couple Months

So everything was going good, I was healthy and feeling great. I had a oppurtinity to move to Minnesota for my job as a construction manager for a national builder, never thought of moving away from Michigan but if things went well it would move me up in the company faster. So not knowing anyone out there I backed up my stuffed and moved.

The move to come with some headaches though, I did not want to find another gastro doctor so I would travel back to Michigan to get my colonscopies done because I trusted him and had a good connection with him. In Minnesota I just went to a family doctor for blood work and any minor issues, he would send all the reports back to MI to keep my regular doctor in the loop. So for three yars this worked out great.

Now came 2009 when the shit hit the fan as usually. I came back home to get my colonscopy done, this was routine and I would spend some time with family and friends while I was in town. Test went good but there were polyps in my colon, no big deal because I have had them before. We scheduled another colonoscopy for a couple months to remove them. Life contiuned in MN where I was finally comfortable living there and found a good group of friends. So I return back home for another long weekend and for my test, removed the polyps and everything was good and the polyps were negative for cancer. Wasn't worried about that anyways. Once again we scheduled a third test in three months so my doctor could check the area to make sure he did not puncture the colon walls, which was wierd because we never did this before. So if one a year wasn't bad enough I was getting three within the year.

Well between the second and third test I was laid off from my job, it sucked because I loved what I was doing but saw it coming since the market was almost hitting the bottom. Luckly I was let go in the summer and was giving a nice severance package. So I decided to take some time to myself before getting another job. I was fortunate that I had to contractors that were willing to bring me on, but I was still getting paid and wanted to have some fun and relax first.

It was getting close to the third colonscopy and I was getting a lot of pain in my stomach. Something that I never experienced before, I know my body and this was not right. So I planned on heading back to MI a little bit early and go see my doctor for an office visit to explain my situation. I was just going to drive back,  the pain was hit or miss on certain days. And of course the day of driving it was at it's worse, at times thought about stopping at a hospital but thought it was better to gut it out and make it back to my parents house. It was pretty bad were I was getting hot flashes at certain points, the drive was not fun at all. Finally made it home and was able to get into the doctors office the next day. He wasn't to sure what the problem was so he gave me some pain meds and moved up my colonscopy.

Well I had my colonscopy a couple days later, the pain was not going away. So it was no surprise to me when I woke up in recovery and he came and talked to me that there was bad news. There was a blockage in my colon and he could not even get to the area where my polyps were. So I was told that I would have to have surgery to remove my colon. I freaked out because all I could think about was that I would be stuck living the rest of my life with a  clostomy bag, this was not what I wanted being young and active. So we needed to scheduled the surgery fairly soon.

Left the hospital with the parent's and headed out to the lakehouse so we all could relax, but it was hard for me because all I thought about was trying to live life with a bag and how my life would change for the worse. I did do some research on this and there were options of getting my colon removed and not getting a bag, but my luck has never been the greatest and I always think worse case and never the positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment